Initial situation Descaling of stainless steel wire requires several pickling steps with high consumption of chemicals and long treatment time. […]
CoolCut – Development of an innovative industrial cutting technique for highly abrasive web-type material
- High tribological load on circular knives, resulting in high wear.
- Wear of knives caused by different mechanisms, depending on cutting material, dimensions, cutting parameters and tool material.
- Reduction of cutting quality (due to wear).
- High frequent knife change / regrinding necessary.
- Complicated readjustment of the knife holder and thus the whole cutting system.
- Evaluation procedure for the wear behaviour of circular knives
- Determination of relevant wear mechanisms
- Optimisation of cryogenic treatment of the knives integrated in the heat treatment process
- Optimisation of cutting edge geometry according to the determined wear behaviour
- Increase of service life / life time of the circular knives
- Increase of cutting quality
Reduction of maintenance intervals and therefore lower operating and maintenance costs