Initial situation The evolution of secondary steelmaking processes and its introduction to the steelmaking plants brought about the effective production […]
HEROLL – Prevention of hydrogen embrittlement of cold rolling rolls by improved work roll material and lubricant configuration
- Increasing number of cold rolling work rolls failures, induced through hydrogen.
- Damages and/or failures can also cause dangerous explosions of the work roll bodies (spalling; safety aspect).
- One reason is the increased mechanical loads during processing.
- The difficulties will even increase as the production rates of materials are rising and the protective plating materials are supposed to be banned.
- Evaluation of process data and work roll history of selected cold rolling processes
- Description / Simulation of failure mechanism
- Development of suitable tribological testing device(s) for material and lubricant testing
- Targeted lubricant and material development
- Intensive tribological testing and identification of potential critical control parameter / suitable control devices
- Industrial implementation
- Increase of service capability of cold rolling work rolls
- Decrease / prevention of work roll material failure
- Clarification of failure mechanism and sources
- Optimisation of work roll material and lubricant configuration