Situation: In the iron and steel industry, large amounts of heat are lost as radiation. One possibility for the use […]
Nanocarbides – Enhancing technological properties of tool steels by cryogenic treatment
- Cryogenic treatment – adjunctive treatment in hardening and tempering process to improve wear resistance and toughness of tool steels.
- Large amount of individual studies with different results leads to a controversial discussion during the last years.
- The actual metallurgical mechanisms in steels are not fully understood, and some existing hypotheses need to be verified.
- Therefore, the potential of these technologies for tool users has not been exploited sufficiently.
- Determination of the optimal the cryogenic treatment including heat treatment process parameters for the selected steels.
- Contribution to the understanding of the processes involved in cryogenic treatment and their effects on the properties of the treaded materials.
- Introduction of the cryogenic treatment to the operational application for tool users.