Initial situation Plant-wide quality databases exist at many steel producers Data-warehouses are optimized for per-coil data access For statistical analysis […]
NanoZunKonLub – Application of nanoparticle enhanced coatings for scale conditioning in die forging processes in order to optimize the tribological system
- Scale formation of 1 to 2 % during reheating of the material for die forging process lead to material losses.
- Surface defects are caused by forged-in scale residues.
- Wear of dies is caused by highly abrasive properties of the scale.
- Selection of suitable nanoparticles with properties to minimise scale formation and to condition the scale as a kind of lubricant.
- Screening of various coating concepts in lab scale and analysis of the amount of scale formed and the influence of the scale on the wear mechanisms of the dies.
- Analysis and validation of the interdependencies between coating and substrate.
- Conduction of industrial forging trials.
- Conditioning of scale in order to change its function and allow a utilisation of the conditioned scale as a kind of lubricant during first forming step.
- Minimisation of scale formation during inductive reheating by 30 %.
- Minimisation of the wear coefficient by 30 % and increase in service life of the dies (approx. doubled)