Situation: High tribological load on circular knives, resulting in high wear. Wear of knives caused by different mechanisms, depending on […]
PlantTemp – Plant wide control of steel bath temperature
- The aim of steel bath temperature control is to prepare the melt such that it meets the target temperature at casting.
- In electric arc furnace and ladle furnace steel melt is superheated, to built up a temperature buffer.
- During subsequent treatment steps such as vacuum degassing, fine alloying, and soft stirring the excess temperature buffer is reduced.
- The operator has to balance energy input with the expected dynamic energy losses based on his experience.
- A current spot measurement procedure of steel melt temperature is assessed by continuous fibre optical temperature measurements during case studies.
- A dynamic process model is applied for through process temperature control.
- An operator advisory system is implemented for optimized through-process temperature monitoring and control.
- The advisory system gives operational advice regarding appropriate measurement procedures and optimises control set-points for the operation during the remaining treatment time.
- Supporting the operator in through-process temperature control
- Improved accuracy in meeting the target casting temperature
- Optimised resource efficiency with reduced electric energy consumption
- Less variation of casting speed, improved surface quality